Bankies bounce back with Buffs win


Clydebank got back to winning ways with a 2-0 win over Kilwinning Rangers on Saturday.

Goals either side of half time from Nicky Little and Ross Alexander were enough to move Bankies up to fourth spot and inflict a first defeat of the season on a strong Buffs side.

Bankies boss Kieran McAnespie made five changes to the side that lost to Petershill last Monday, with Jordan Shelvey returning from injury to lead the line while Adam Asghar, Andy Paterson, Chris Black and Ross Alexander made the starting eleven.

After a fairly frantic start to proceedings at Abbey Park, Buffs registered the first meaningful attempt on goal at the midway point of the first half. A cross from the right wasn’t dealt with by Bankies stopper Marc Waters and the ball broke to Ben Lewis at the edge of the area, but his first time effort skimmed the outside of the post as Bankies breathed a sigh of relief.

On his return, Shelvey caused the Buffs back line problems all afternoon and he was instrumental in breaking the deadlock. The striker’s knock on wasn’t dealt with by the defence and Little latched on to the ball and fired it low across Strain to give Bankies the lead.

Less than five minutes later, Little could’ve doubled his and Clydebank’s lead after tenacious play from Alexander saw him feed the ball to Shelvey who in turn sent Little though one-on-one with Strain but he saw his effort blocked by the Buffs stopper.

Jamie Darroch put in a commanding defensive display at the back as Bankies managed to withstand a barrage of pressure early in the second half, twice coming to the rescue to thwart Kilwinning’s attack. 

And with fifteen minutes remaining, Bankies made it two. Little burst down the right wing and pulled the ball back for Cammy McClair, whose skewed effort was going wide of the post before Alexande’s outstretched leg managed to direct the shot past Strain.

With Kilwinning forced to find a way back in the game, Bankies exploited space at the back narrowly missed out on capping the win with a third goal when Little found substitute Sean Higgins at the near post but the ball somehow ricocheted off the latter as he fell to the ground.

Next up for Bankies is a visit of Kilbirnie Ladeside, kick off at Lochburn Park next Saturday is 2pm.