Little scores twice as Bankies rise to second with Blasties win

Clydebank 2 v 0 Kilbirnie Ladeside West Region Premiership Lochburn Park Saturday 1st September 2018

Clydebank moved up to second spot after a comfortable 2-0 win over Kilbirnie Ladeside on Saturday.

Nicky Little’s first half brace was enough to sink Budgie McGhie’s Kilbirnie side as Bankies recorded their fourth win of the season. 

Bankies boss Kieran McAnespie made two changes to the side that beat Kilwinning, with Michael McIndoe filling in at centre back in place of Alan Vezza while Chris Dooley replaced Adam Asghar at right back.

And it was a blistering start to proceedings as Bankies went ahead inside just two minutes. Neat interplay between Little and Jordan Shelvey saw the latter play the former through on goal, with Little coolly picking his spot from the edge of the area.

Clydebank then managed to double their lead after fifteen minutes, when Cammy McClair’s through ball was perfect for Little who again found the back of the net to register his seventh goal of the season.

Kilbirnie began to dominate most of the possession in the middle of the park, but the Blasties only real chance of note came at the start of the second period when David Anderson’s shot flew narrowly wide of Marc Waters’ right hand post.

Just after the hour mark Jordan Shelvey had the chance to put the game to bed. Referee Stephen Brown played a good advantage when Nicky Little was fouled on the half way line, with Shelvey bursting through on goal only to scuff his shot at the last second.

And Little could’ve completed his hat-trick when his header from a corner was blocked, only to stab the resulting rebound wide. 

With less than men minutes remaining, Bankies should’ve sealed the win with a fantastic team move. Good work down the right flank saw McClair feed Little, and his cross found Sean Higgins at the back post. Higgins nodded the ball back across goal for Chris Black, but Ladeside stopper Grant Hay did well to thwart Bankies’ attempts to add a third. 

Ladeside should’ve been right back in the game just a minute later in what was there more promising attack of the game. Jon Scullion’s whipped cross was met by the head of former Bankie Joel Kasubandi, but the striker somehow managed to head the ball wide from all of six yards.

As the clock ticked down, Bankies could and should have added at least a third goal to cap an impressive performance. First Steven Higgins ‘ floated cross was headed wide by substitute Del Hepburn, with Sean Higgins then almost scoring from the half way line – only for Ladeside stopper Grant Hay to claw the ball to safety.

Bankies are back on the road next Saturday with a trip to Glenafton Athletic – kick off at Loch Park is 2pm.