Bankies remain second after fine Glenafton win


Clydebank remain second in the West Region Premiership after a 2-0 win over Glenafton on Saturday.

Landmark goals from Cammy McClair and Nicky Little either side of the break gave Bankies their third consecutive win and clean sheet ahead of next weekend’s top of the table clash at home to Hurlford.

For the first time this season, boss Kieran McAnespie named an unchanged eleven from the side that beat Kilbirnie Ladeside – with only Matt McLean replacing the unavailable Steven Higgins on the substitutes bench. 

It was a frantic start to proceedings at Loch Park as goalkeeper Marc Waters was called into early action, pushing Conor Lynass’ dipping shot on to the post and away to safety. 

The visitors were straight back at them and could’ve opened the scoring after McClair’s bursting run ended in him cutting inside and firing a deflected right footed shot narrowly past Brian McGarrity’s left hand post.

Striker Jordan Shelvey also missed a good chance when he latched on to a ball over the top, but his lob over McGarrity was cleared to safety just in time by covering defender Kyle McAusland.

Midway through the first half, Glens were reduced to ten men when Findlay Frye dangerously lunged in on academy graduate Ross Alexander, with referee Calum Scott immediately brandishing a straight red card.

It was a game defining moment and it took just seven minutes for Bankies to take full advantage. Cammy McClair’s initial effort was blocked but the rebound fell nicely into his path, and the winger made no mistake second time round as he picked his spot from 20 yards to record Clydebank’s 1100th goal in junior football. 

Clydebank could’ve been two goals to the good going into the break but Andy Paterson’s rasping drive was palmed away by McGarrity. 

Any hope of the ten men getting back into the game were essentially killed just two minutes after the restart, when Nicky Little became just the second player to reach 50 goals for the club in the junior era. Right back Chris Dooley found Little who turned his man at the edge of the box and struck low to McGarrity’s right to record his half century.

And Little could’ve twice added to his tally, first when Liam Rowan sent him through on goal, then forcing a double stop from McGarrity.

As the clock ticked down, Bankies retained possession for large spells and dominated for the most part – with only Ayr United loanee Leon Murphy giving Bankies a late scare when his shot left Waters scrambling.

Alexander, who recovered well from the tackle that led to the red card, could’ve capped off an impressive performance when he found himself though on goal, but McGarrity was again equal to his shot as Bankies left Loch Park with all three points for just the third time.

Bankies welcome Hurlford United – who have won their first seven league games – to Lochburn Park next Saturday – kick off is 2pm.