Bankies book fourth round spot with Kinnoull win


Clydebank booked their place in the fourth round of the Scottish Junior Cup with a 3-0 win away to Kinnoull on Saturday.

Jordan Shelvey returned from injury to bag a double, while Jamie Darroch’s second half header secured passage into the next round for the first time in three years.

Shelvey’s return was one of two changes made by boss Kieran McAnespie, as he partnered Steven Higgins up front with duo Chris Black and Nicky Little both missing out. 

After a slow start on a crisp day in Perthshire, Bankies began to create chances for themselves. The first of which came after 15 minutes when Del Hepburn’s ball fell to Shelvey, who delayed his shot as Kinnoull stopper Osinski rushed off his line to gather safely.

At the midway point of the first half, Bankies broke the deadlock. Cammy McClair’s corner from the left was cleared into the path of Declan Fitzpatrick, and the defender’s cross was perfect for Shelvey to rise and nod a looping header in via the underside of the bar. 

Despite the goal advantage, Bankies looked nervy and could’ve lost a goal on the stroke of half time. Jamie Darroch’s last ditch tackle prevented striker Ben Moffat from a shot on goal, but the rebound fell kindly to Tom Whyte, and his shot skimmed the outside of Marc Waters’ left hand post before bouncing to safety. 

Seconds later, Clydebank rode their luck once again as Waters was called into action, reacting well to tip Morrison’s left footed effort round the post.

Bankies managed to regroup at the break and should’ve doubled their lead in the opening seconds of the second period. Cammy McClair’s corner was thumped marginally over the crossbar by Shelvey as Clydebank began to control proceedings at Tulloch Park.

On 51 minutes, the visitors did just that as Shelvey notched his fifth goal of the season. Good work from tricky winger Del Hepburn saw him lace Kinnoull right back Patrick Brown for pace and cross for Shelvey, who expertly readjusted his body and fired home.

Five minutes later Bankies effectively ended the game as a contest when Jamie Darroch headed in a third. Captain Alan Vezza nodded Cammy McClair’s corner towards goal, with Darroch on hand to apply the final touch to register his third goal of the season.

Steven Higgins was next to try his luck, but Kinnoull goalkeeper Lukasz Osinski was twice on hand to deny the striker on his return to the starting eleven.

The hosts tried in vein to salvage a consolation but Waters produced a double save at the death to record a 10th clean sheet of the season and help Bankies secure entry to the fourth round.

Clydebank return to league duty next weekend with a trip to Troon. Kick off at Portland Park is 2pm.