Quarter final replay after Hurlford force late draw


Clydebank have it all to do again as ten man Hurlford scored a 91st minute equaliser to force a replay in the quarter final of the Scottish Junior Cup on Saturday. 

Jordan Shelvey opened the scoring for the Bankies but Ryan Caddis’ stoppage time cross-cum-shot flew into the top corner as the hosts snatched a late draw.

Hurlford United v Clydebank 23/2/19

Manager Kieran McAnespie made two changes to the side that lost to Glenafton last time out, with Nicky Little and Chris Black recalled to the starting lineup in place of Ross Alexander and Del Hepburn. 

That meant a return to a 4-4-1-1 formation, with Nicky Little supporting Jordan Shelvey as Sean Higgins and Liam Rowan continued in the centre of midfield. 

Bankies had lost 11 goals on their previous two visits to Blair Park, and Hurlford could’ve added to that number early on. A free kick from the left was only punched by travelling keeper Marc Waters, with captain Alan Vezza able to recover in time to head the resulting header off the line.

The home side then had loud claims for penalty kick denied by referee Peter Stuart. Adam Hodge’s long throw in reached the penalty spot, with Sean Higgins appearing to catch Liam Caddis but the protests were waved away.

Bankies failed to really test Brown during the first half, but could’ve went in at the break with a one goal lead when a stray back pass almost caught the goalkeeper out. Brown back peddled furiously but thankfully for the home side the ball went wide of the right hand post. 

Early in the second half, ‘Ford had the ball in the net. A corner from the left was helped into the net by Waters, but the referee blew for a foul on the the Bankies number one after Robertson was adjudged to have impeded him.

Just after the hour mark. Bankies got themselves in front. Higgins found Little with a slide pass, who in turn flicked the ball on to send Shelvey through on goal. The striker took a touch to take the ball past Brown, before tapping the ball into an empty net. 

Shelvey took the applause from the travelling Bankies support as he grabbed his 15th goal of the season, before being replaced by Stevie Higgins.

Bankies were given a boost when Hurlford were reduced to ten men. Having been cautioned earlier in the half, Robertson was dismissed for a second yellow card after a foul on Sean Higgins in the middle of the park. 

But there was to be heartbreak with virtually the last kick of the ball. From the goalkeeper’s kick out, the ball fell to Caddis wide on the left – 30 yards from goal. His right footed cross-cum-shot evaded Waters and and dropped into the top right hand corner 

Bankies now host Hurlford in the replay next Saturday, where kick off at Lochburn Park will be 2pm.