Kirkintilloch Rob Roy 1 – Clydebank 3


BANKIES bounced back from Saturday’s defeat with a 3-1 win over Premier League opponents Kirkintilloch Rob Roy on Wednesday evening.

Goals from Stevie Young, Andy Paterson and Nicky Little saw Bankies progress to the quarter finals, where they will play the winners of Auchinleck Talbot v Cambuslang Rangers.

Making his first start since November, Johnny Allan replaced Graham Mort in one of five changes made by Bankies boss Budgie McGhie. Out went Jamie Lyden, Calum Gow, Joel Kasubandi and Ryan Holms, who were replaced by Andy Paterson, Hashim Cole, Stevie Young and Greg Cree respectively.

It took just 14 minutes for Bankies to break the deadlock. A through ball from Phil Barclay was deflected into the path of Stevie Young by Rabs defender David Barr, with Young comfortably slotted home the opener.

Six minutes later, Rob Roy had the chance to equalise when referee William Wilson adjudged Willie Sawyers to have been pull down in the box. Ross Barbour took the resulting penalty, with Josh Lumsden throwing himself down to his left to brilliant beat away the spot kick.

However Rabs did equalise two minutes later, when Chris Duff headed home from Mackie’s free kick, this time giving Lumsden no chance.

Just minutes before the break, Bankies got themselves in front. Rabs stopper Johnny Murdoch misjudged the flight of Andy Paterson’s free kick, carrying the ball over the line. The initial effort was missed by the assistant referee, but Nicky Little was alert to bundle the rebound home.

After the restart, Sawyers had the first real effort but Lumsden was again equal to it. Just before the hour mark, Bankies were awarded a penalty when Stevie Young was upended inside the area. Nicky Little assumed responsibility, burying his penalty right into the bottom left hand corner as Bankies extended their advantage.

Phil Barclay, Greg Cree and Joel Kasubandi all had efforts saved as Clydebank booked a tie with either Auchinleck Talbot or Cambuslang Rangers in the Quarter Finals.