Girvan 3 – Clydebank 4


CLYDEBANK got back to winning ways on Saturday, beating Girvan 4-3 in a seven goal thriller at Hamilton Park.

A double from Nicky Little and goals from Jordan Shelvey and Joel Kasubandi saw Bankies pick up their first win in three, ending Girvan’s unbeaten league record of almost 30 games in the process.

Bankies boss Budgie McGhie made one change to the side that drew with Blantyre last weekend, with Peter McGill replacing Danny MacKinnon in midfield. McGill dropped in behind Nicky Little who continued in the role of lone striker with Joel Kasubandi and Jordan Shelvey supporting on either flank.

It was a fairly subdued opening quarter of an hour in South Ayrshire, with Josh Lumsden on hand to comfortably gather early efforts from Tony Murphy and Robert Paterson respectively.

After almost twenty minutes, Bankies took the lead. A neat interchange of play on the right saw Calum Gow loft a cross to the back post, with Jordan Shelvey rising highest to beat Girvan goalkeeper Scott Johnstone to the ball as his header looped in.

On the half hour mark, Bankies doubled their lead. A quick one two between Shelvey and Little saw the former slip a wonderful through ball for the latter, with Little quick to round Johnstone and slot in his first of the afternoon.

Two minutes before the break, Bankies added a third. Tenacious hold up play from McGill saw him lay the ball off to Kasubandi at the edge of the area, who duly fired the ball into the top corner as he claimed his first goal of the season.

Bankies started the second period much as they ended the first, in the ascendancy. First, Johnstone had to be alert to push Little’s ferocious round the post, before Kasubandi’s acrobatic scissor kick almost added a fourth.

On the hour mark, Bankies made their first change that saw Danny MacKinnon replace Cammy Hadow. Within two minutes, MacKinnon was caught in possession and Girvan broke away, with Calum Gow heading into his own net from the resulting cross as the home side looked for a way back into the game.

Five minutes later, the Seasiders did find their way back into the game with a second goal. After Andy Paterson needlessly conceded a corner, defender John Frame headed past Josh Lumsden as Clydebank’s commanding three goal lead was suddenly reduced to one.

Seventy minutes brought McGhie’s second switch of the game, Alan Frizzell replacing Peter McGill – with Frizzell almost immediately involved in Clydebank’s fourth goal of the game.

Frizzell’s knock down was perfect for Kasubandi who neatly found Little with the outside of his boot, and Little was on hand to sweep the ball under Johnstone for his second of the afternoon.

As the clock struck ninety, Girvan grabbed a third. Unmarked at a corner, Sean Robertson rose well to head beyond Lumsden and to set up a grandstand finish.

From three goals up at the break, it was a nervy end with Lumsden somehow able to tip Andy Stevenson’s overhead kick away as Bankies held on for all three points and rise to third in the table.

Next up for Bankies is a trip to Cumnock in the West of Scotland Cup. Kick off at Townhead Park is 2pm.

Girvan – All Photos By Stevie Doogan

Flickr Album Gallery Powered By: Weblizar