Yoker Athletic v Clydebank



    CLYDEBANK took the derby bragging rights last Wednesday night with a 2-0 victory over Yoker.

    Goals from Joel Kasubandi and Nicky Little made it two from two for Budgie McGhie’s side in the Sectional League Cup.

    Yoker will reflect upon opportunities not taken in a game where there was little between the sides.

    Joel Kasubandi started well for the Bankies, manoeuvring space on the edge of the box and having a shot within the first 30 seconds but it was straight at Yoker goalkeeper Liam Campbell, starting against Clydebank for the first time since his summer switch from the Bankies.

    The former Morton striker was at it again a few minutes later, skipping past a challenge on the right wing but his cut back was intercepted.

    Robbie Halliday made good ground from right back before offloading to Johnny Allan, the midfielder fed Kasubandi who curled a left foot drive wide.

    Yoker responded with their first effort on goal. Player/manager Steven Reilly rose highest to head just wide from a free kick.

    Whe Ho left back John Harvey then screwed a left footed free kick wide of target from 22 yards — however Yoker were growing into the game after a shaky start.

    Jamie Carson was next to threaten Josh Lumsden in the Bankies goal, he played a wonderful cross in from the right which Greig Maitland looked set to convert but it was just out of his reach.

     On the stroke of half time, Clydebank broke the deadlock. Reilly’s attempted clearance sent the ball spinning high into the air, landing at Phil Barclay on the right. His first touch gave Alan Cairns a chance in a 50-50, but Barclay won the ball cleanly before clipping a lovely ball to Nicky Little at the back post who made no mistake. The forward celebrating his contract at Clydebank being finalised in the perfect fashion.

    The first 20 minutes of the second half passed with neither goalkeeper being called into action. Both defences were coping well with aerial balls and neither side could get any fluidity in their passing.

    Josh Lumsden in the Bankies goal had to be alert to clear a through ball which Gary Arbuckle was threatening to latch on to.

    With 20 minutes to go the former Dumbarton keeper was called into action again. David Crerand skipped past a couple of challenges to square for Maitland who was free in the middle of the goal. His shot from just inside the box was fired in at a good height for Lumsden who nevertheless did well to push it away.

    After absorbing pressure for parts of the second half Clydebank struck the decisive blow. Ryan Holms, only introduced a few minutes earlier, beat Carson to the byline on the left before delivering a lovely ball in for Kasubandi who rose well to head the ball into the near corner to double the advantage and wrap up the points.



    Yoker Athletic0