Forfar West End vs Clydebank



    CLYDEBANK progressed to the third round of the Scottish Junior Cup with a hard fought 2-0 win away to Forfar West End on Saturday.

    A second half header from Jordan Shelvey and Joel Kasubandi’s penalty in added on time gave Bankies the win as they looked to recover from last week’s defeat to Largs.

    Manager Budgie McGhie made two changes from that loss, with Mark Burbidge and Nicky Little being replaced by Danny MacKinnon and Andy Paterson respectively.

    It was the home side that started much the brighter, with Josh Lumsden making a string of vital saves. First, he got down well to push Graeme Hart’s free kick away, before spreading himself to block Hart after he sprung the offside trap from the resulting corner kick.

    Robert O’Neill and Alan Vezza both made goal line clearances, before Bankies were denied what appeared to be a stonewall penalty kick. Phil Barclay’s diagonal ball over the top was controlled by Ryan Holms, who was then wrestled to the ground by West End defender Daryl McKenzie. Despite vociferous protestations from the Bankies bench and travelling support, referee Barry Reid waved away the claims.

    With eight minutes of the second half played, Bankies had the ball in the net. Phil Barclay’s floated cross was met by the head of Greg Cree, who steered the ball past Forfar goalkeeper Daryl Burns but it was ruled out, with the referee adjudging Cree to have pushed West End’s player/manager McKenzie.

    Midway through the half, Bankies eventually did break the deadlock. Tidy link up play between Johnny Allan and Robbie Halliday saw the former swing a cross in, with Jordan Shelvey leaping well to nod Clydebank in front.

    Deep into stoppage time, Bankies sealed the win. Cree’s clever flick saw Kasubandi put through on goal, with covering defender David Rae chopping him down just inside the area. Kasubandi took the resulting penalty himself, slotting it under Burns as Bankies booked their place in the next round.



    Forfar West End0