Cumbernauld 1 – Clydebank 5


BANKIES got back to winning ways with a comfortable 5-1 win over Cumbernauld on Saturday.

Calum Gow scored his first and second goals for the club, with Peter McGill, Mark Burbidge and Alan Vezza also registering.

Bankies boss Budgie McGhie made one change to the side that lost to Renfrew, with Jamie Lyden replacing Jordan Shelvey – a change that also brought a different tactical approach, with Bankies lining up in a 3-4-3 formation.

Calum Gow and Jamie’s Darroch and Lyden were the central defensive trio, with Andy Paterson and Robbie Halliday taking up their positions as wing backs. Nicky Little and Alan Vezza were the central midfield partnership as Stevie Young retained his place as a lone striker.

For the second successive Saturday, Bankies flew out of the traps and were ahead inside the opening eight minutes. Having a more attacking role, Paterson created space for McGill who cut inside the Cumbernauld full back and curled a great shot into the bottom corner.

Midway through the half, the visitors doubled their lead. Peter McGill’s out-swinging corner was met by the head of Calum Gow, with the ball flying past Conor O’Boyle as the defender grabbed his first goal in Clydebank colours.

Three minutes after the restart, Bankies once again stamped their authority on proceedings. In an almost carbon copy of his first, Gow once again rose highest to thump a header past O’Boyle as he notched his second and Bankies’ third of the afternoon.

REACTION: Double goal scorer Calum Gow on today's 5-1 win over Cumbernauld United.

Posted by Clydebank FC on Saturday, December 10, 2016

The visitors took full control of the game and their dominance paid off with a further two goals in three minutes.

First, Mark Burbidge picked the ball up wide on the left and went on a trademark bursting run. The winger drove, unchallenged, at the Cumbernauld defence and slotted the ball between O’Boyle’s legs as Clydebank all but sealed the victory.

Less than three minutes later, Alan Vezza did secure all three points for McGhie’s men with his fifth goal of the campaign. Nicky Little’s free kick was floated to the back post, with Vezza stooping well to direct the ball into the back of the net.

Midway through the half, Cumbernauld pulled a goal back. A dangerous ball into the box ricocheted off Gow and fell kindly to Foley, who slotted past Lumsden – a goal that provided welcome respite for the home side having conceded thirteen consecutive goals over the last two games.

The result leaves Bankies fourth in Super League First Division 1 ahead of next week’s clash against Kilsyth Rangers – kick off at Holm Park is 1:45pm.

Cumbernauld – All Photos By Stevie Doogan

Flickr Album Gallery Powered By: Weblizar