Clydebank U19s reach Scottish Cup Final


CLYDEBANK U19s booked their place in the final of the Scottish Cup with a commanding 6-1 win over Beith Juniors on Sunday.

A hat-trick from William Fleming, alongside goals from Jordan Hay, Abdul Yusuf and an own goal were enough to set up a final against Airdrie United in May.

Lining up in a 3-5-2 formation, the Young Bankies came bursting out of the blocks and could’ve been ahead inside three minutes when Jordan Hay was put through on goal, but his delicate chip bounced off the post and was cleared to safety.

After 11 minutes though, Bankies did take the lead. After Joe Slee was pulled back 25 years from goal, Hay stepped up and hit an exquisite free kick into the top corner, giving Beith goalkeeper Cameron Chalmers no chance.

And just over five minutes later, Clydebank doubled their lead. Latching on to a ball over the top, Fleming took a touch before shooting low across Chalmers to claim his first of the day.

The Young Bankies continued to press and were rewarded with a third just after the half hour mark. Bursting down the left channel, and with Hay waiting in the middle for a tap in, Robbie Donaldso’s cross was diverted into his own net by Beith’s Callum Caig.

And before the break there was time for a fourth as Fleming’s thunderous effort crashed off the underside of the crossbar and bounced into the back of the net to give Bankies a four goal cushion at the break.

Six minutes after the restart, Bankies added a fifth as Fleming grabbed his third. Good work down the right saw the ball fall to Fleming, who made no mistake in firing the ball beyond Chalmers to claim the match ball.

As the game approached the final fifteen minutes, Bankies showed no signs of slowing down and grabbed their sixth. Matt McLean’s long throw ins wrecked havoc throughout the game, with substitute Yusuf on hand to prod the ball home from an almost impossible angle after Beith’s substitute goalkeeper fumbled the ball.

With seven minutes left of proceedings at Petershill Park, Beith pulled a goal back but it was nothing more than a consolation as Bankies cruised to their first Scottish Cup Final.