Clydebank lose out to ten man Buffs


Clydebank twice lost the lead as ten man Kilwinning Rangers ran out 3-2 winners on Saturday afternoon.

Goals from Jordan Shelvey and Reece Pearson weren’t enough for battling Bankies were outclassed and outfought by the Buffs who remain on course for a title challenge. 

McAnespie made five changes to the side that lost to East Kilbride, with battling duo Ryan Deas and Reece Pearson dropping to the bench with academy graduate Ross Alexander being recalled to the starting eleven.

And it was a dream start for the hosts, who took the lead inside three minutes. Starting the move himself, Jordan Shelvey drove at the Buffs back line and played in John Cunningham, whose shot was parried out to the feet of Shelvey who tapped in the rebound.

And Bankies should’ve doubled their lead when Matt McLean’s cross field diagonal found Shelvey in behind the back line, but after bringing the ball down, Shelvey’s rushed effort flew narrowly over the bar. 

Just after the half hour mark, Buffs full back Sam McCloskey was dismissed by referee Chris Graham for a soft looking second yellow card, and from this point on the visitors all but controlled proceedings and were rewarded with an equaliser just before the break.

Ricky Hanvey created space for himself at the edge of the area and, unchallenged, shot low past Waters into the bottom corner.

Ross Alexander was replaced by Ryan Deas at the break, but the ten men continued to dominate with Carlo Monti having the best of the opening second period. 

Midway through the half, Bankies somehow went in front. A corner from the left was tumbled by by Buffs stopper Michael Wardrope, with Reece Pearson on hand to stab the ball home to Clydebank ahead.

From the restart, Kilwinning introduced striker Ryan Nisbet and within 90 seconds – were level. A hopeful long ball found the substitute lurking at the back post, with Nisbet coolly slotting the ball across Waters to deservedly level.

And just six minutes later, Nisbet grabbed the winner. Getting the ball on the left hand side, he fired in a stunning drive that was too powerful for Waters that sparked jubilant celebrations from the Buffs bench.

Nisbet could’ve sealed his third and Kilwinning’s fourth on the stroke of full time, but after doing all the hard work, lifted the ball over Waters’ crossbar as Bankies sank to another defeat.

Next up for Bankies is a trip to Guys Meadow to take on Kirkintilloch Rob Roy – kick off next Saturday is 2pm.