Clydebank 3 – Yoker Athletic 4


Clydebank lost their first game of the season, going down 4-3 to ten man Yoker on Saturday.

Yoker had a two goal advantage through David Crerand’s opener and Mark Maxwell’s controversial second, but Alan Vezza pulled a goal back early in the second half. Ryan Hynes restored Yoker’s two goal lead, with Alan Frizzell bundling in a second for Clydebank. Greg Maitland curled in a fourth before Nicky Little’s penalty completed the seven goal thriller.

Bankies boss Budgie McGhie made just one change to the side that beat Shotts Bon Accord, with Nicky Little replacing Alan Frizzell in the preferred 4-3-3 formation.

It took less than a minute for Yoker to create the first golden opportunity of the game, but former Bankie Mark Maxwell’s effort went high over the bar.

And, after three minutes, Yoker took the lead. A corner from the left wasn’t dealt with by the Bankies back line, with David Crerand sneaking in at the back post to volley home the opener.

Midway through the first half, Yoker deservedly doubled their lead but in controversial circumstances.

Clydebank’s defensive frailties at set pieces were once again exposed, with Mark Maxwell powering a header down into the ground. Despite Bankies goalkeeper Josh Lumsden appearing to smother the ball on the line, referee David Dickinson somehow judged the ball to have crossed the line as the Whe Ho added a second.

Bankies were then forced into an early substitution, with Stevie Young replacing Joel Kasubandi who picked up a groin strain.

Just before the hour mark, Bankies looked to find a way back into the game. A great ball into the box by Cammy Haddow was met by the head of Alan Vezza, who deftly halved the deficit.

From the kick off, Yoker went on the attack and were awarded a penalty when Haddow tripped Maxwell inside the area. Ryan Hynes stepped up the spot, sending Lumsden the wrong way as he restored Yoker’s two goal advantage.

Trailing by two goals, McGhie made a second change that saw Alan Frizzell replace Robbie Halliday and Bankies adopt a 3-5-2 approach – which paid almost instant dividends.

Five minutes later, Clydebank managed to grab a second. A quick free kick saw Haddow slip the ball through to Burbidge who fed Nicky Little – whose shot bounced of the post – only for Alan Frizzell to tap in from point blank range.

There was another positive for the Bankies as Andy Biddulph – who broke his hand just 20 minutes into his debut – made his competitive bow, replacing Jamie Lyden.

Almost straight after the restart, Yoker were reduced to ten men. After dispossessing Reece McGillion, Nicky Little was cynically scythed down by Gary Bissland, with Dickinson reaching immediately for the red card.

Yoker were then to all but seal three points with their fourth of the game. Goalscorer Hynes spun Lyden and laid the ball of to Maitland, who ran at Jamie Darroch before turning and curling a right footed effort beyond the reach of Lumsden.

With three minutes left of the clock, Bankies were awarded a spot kick of their own when Stevie Young was upended on the edge of the area by Andy Campbell. Nicky Little assumed responsibility, squeezing the ball past former Bankies stopper Liam Campbell to set up a grandstand finish.

Clydebank pressed for that elusive equaliser and were almost caught on the break. Henry played in Hynes, but his shot was blocked by the feet of Lumsden, with the ball bouncing off the crossbar and going over as Yoker secured a deserved victory to go top of the Super League First Division.

Yoker – All Photos By Stevie Doogan

Flickr Album Gallery Powered By: Weblizar