Clydebank 2 – Cumnock 2


INJURY ravaged Clydebank fell seven points off the top of the table following a 2-2 draw with Cumnock Juniors on Saturday.

Bankies twice led through goals from Ryan Holms either side of the break, but were pegged back through Aiden Malone and Paul Burns’s penalty.

With only thirteen fit players, Stevie Young replaced Joel Kasubandi in the only change from last week’s 1-0 win over Kilsyth Rangers.

With just three minutes played, Cumnock threatened Josh Lumsden’s goal for the first time. The Bankies defence failed to clear their lines, with Aiden Malone shooting wide of the post.

Two minutes later, Bankies opened the scoring. After a surging run from right back Robbie Halliday, his cross into the box was met by Nicky Little, whose swivelling effort was parried only into the path of Holms who stabbed home at the far post.

Ryan Holms pounces to open the scoring

Midway through the first half, the visitors levelled. A floated free kick into the box wasn’t cleared by the Bankies back line, with the lively Malone getting in behind Jamie Lyden to equalise for the visitors.

After the restart, Bankies should’ve put themselves in front. Andy Paterson’s cross was knocked down to Holms at the edge of the box, who cut inside the onrushing defender, shooting narrowly over.

Fifteen minutes from time, Clydebank retook the lead. Against the run of play, Halliday’s pinpoint cross was met by the head of Holms, who became  the third player to notch double figures for the season as he buried the ball into the bottom corner.

Ryan Holms grabs his brace

However, less than a minute later, Cumnock were level. Alan Vezza was adjudged to have bundled over Malone inside the area, with referee Craig King awarding a penalty kick. Paul Burns grabbed the ball, firing low to Lumsden’s left to snatch a point for the visitors.

With less than a minute of normal time remaining, there was huge controversy as Bankies were denied a penalty. Little nicked the ball by ‘Nock defender Paul Murphy, but referee Craig King branded a yellow card to Little for simulation much to the dismay of the Holm Park crowd as Bankies remain in second spot.