Bankies crash out of West with Cumnock loss

Clydebank 0 v 2 Cumnock West of Scotland Cup Round 3 Holm Park Saturday 12th May 2018

Clydebank crashed out of the West of Scotland Cup with a 2-0 defeat at home to Cumnock on Saturday.

Goals either side of half time from Keiren Wood and Scott Anson secured the Nock’s place in the quarter finals as Bankies exited their last remaining cup competition.

Boss Kieran McAnespie named an unchanged eleven from the side that drew with Kirkintilloch Rob Roy, but was forced to name just four substitutes on the bench due to injuries and suspensions. 

And it was nearly the perfect start for the hosts, who were awarded a penalty inside the opening ten minutes after Jordan Shelvey was adjudged to have been upended inside the area. 

Former Cumnock winger Josh Watt assumed responsibility but his tame effort was comfortably parried by Johnston in the Nock goal.

Keen to atone for his spot kick miss, Watt twice tried his luck from distance but to no avail as the visitors began to dominate proceedings at Holm Park. 

Less than minutes later, Cumnock went ahead. Waters could only parry Anson’s free kick out to the left, with the ball being driven back across goal for Wood to stab home at the back post.

It was a sucker punch for Bankies who, despite looking dangerous on the counter attack, always seemed vulnerable from crosses and high balls into the area. 

The visitors should’ve added a quick second when James Hilton outran Jamie Darroch, but his one-on-one effort with Waters saw the former Elgin stopper stand tall to block an almost certain goal.

Clydebank came close just before the break, when McClair broke down the right and released academy graduate Ross Alexander – but the Nock defender recovered well to thwart the effort.

Midway through the second half, Cumnock all but sealed progression to the next round with a well executed counter. Nock stretched the Bankies back line, with the unmarked Anson on hand to nod in a cross from the left.

Bankies should’ve pulled a goal back soon after, with Jamie Darroch heading a trademark Matt McLean throw in a whisker wide of the post. 

And there was to be no fairytale for Bankies defender Andy Paterson – making his 200th appearance for the club – when the marauding left back fired wide of the post in the dying minutes. 

Next up for Bankies is the visit of Hurlford United. Kick off at Holm Park tonight (Wednesday) is 7:30pm.