Greenock 2 – Clydebank 2


NICKY Little came to the rescue for the second successive game as Bankies left it late to grab a 2-2 draw with Greenock Juniors on Saturday.

Little’s brace – his 16th and 17th of the season – mean Bankies sit third ahead of another hectic fixture schedule this week.

Bankies boss Budgie McGhie made three changes to the side that drew with Kilsyth, with Hashim Cole, Jamie Lyden and Nicky Little replacing Andy Paterson, Graham Mort and Ryan Holms.

After just five minutes, Bankies were awarded a penalty. Good play from Nicky Little and Mark Burbidge saw the latter upended inside the area after challenges from Sean Doherty and Luke Murray.

Nicky Little stepped up the spot and buried is spot kick high into the top corner, giving Ryan McWilliams in the Greenock goal no chance.

It was to be yet another day of missed chances, as Bankies could’ve comfortable extended their lead in the first half. First, Greg Cree fired straight at McWilliams, before Alan Vezza’s header went agonisingly wide of the post.

Midway through the first half, Greenock were level. Doherty’s cross from the left was met by the head of Craig Brown, who out jumped Hashim Cole at the back post to nod the home side in front.

The goal seemed unsettle the Bankies back line, with Greenock going close again before the break. Strong hold up play from Greenock striker Willie McClure saw him slip the ball to Kenny Munro, but the winger shot wide of Josh Lumsden’s right hand post.

Seven minutes after the restart, Greenock went ahead. Winning the ball on the edge of the area, Paul Harkins waltzed -unchallenged – through the Bankies defence, shooting high past Lumsden.

Another strong period of possession and sustained pressure followed, culminating in Ryan Holms heading straight at McWilliams.

Substitute Stevie Young then squandered two glorious opportunities to draw level. Halliday’s lofted pass was flicked on by the head of Kasubandi, with Young taking a touch before blazing his shot high over the bar. Then, Nicky Little’s well weighted pass over the top fell at the feet of Young, who sliced his second effort wide of the target.

With one minute of normal time remaining, Little salvaged a point. Peeling off his marker, Little adjusted his body and fired a sweet right footed volley past McWilliams from Holms’ corner as Bankies looked to snatch a point.

There was, however, ample time for one final scare. Munro’s out-swinging free kick was almost headed into his own net by Halliday, with Josh Lumsden on hand to tip the ball over the bar as Bankies rescued a draw at Ravenscraig.