Clydebank 0 – Ardrossan 4


CLYDEBANK’S promotion hopes were dealt a blow with a 4-0 defeat to Ardrossan Winton Rovers on Saturday.

Bankies had captain Phil Barclay dismissed late in the first half for violent conduct, with goals from Ryan Caddis, Gareth Turner and Conor Browning’s double securing all three points for Winton as Clydebank lost back to back defeats for the first time this season.

In manager Budgie McGhie’s absence, Stuart Allison and Gordon Robertson made three changes; Josh Lumsden, Robbie Halliday and Joel Kasubandi replacing Robert Tiropoulos, Andy Paterson and Stevie Young respectively.

With just three minutes played, the visitors broke the deadlock. A long ball over the top was misjudged by Graham Mort, with the alert Ryan Caddis picking his spot and comfortably putting Rovers a goal to the good.

Bankies regrouped and went in search of the equaliser, and nearly found it through Nicky Little’s left footed effort which cannoned off the woodwork.

However, with less than ten minutes remaining of the first half, Clydebank were reduced to ten men. Jamie Lyden, playing at left back as a result of injuries to Andy Paterson and Hashim Cole, was clattered by both Ben Carson and Dean Richardson leaving the Holm Park crowd enraged. Referee Matthew MacDiarmid cautioned Carson for the tackle, but produced a straight red card for Barclay’s involvement in the aftermath.

From there, things went from bad to worse as Rovers doubled their lead within a minute of the restart. Scorer Caddis turned provider, as his cross wasn’t dealt with by the Bankies back line, and Browning was on hand to lift the ball over Lumsden to double their lead.

Just before the hour mark, Rovers added a third. Conor Browning’s mis-hit shot fell into the path of Gareth Turner, who volleyed home from just inside the area.

Five minutes later, Rovers completed their rout and it was four. Gareth Turner raced onto a loose throw in from Darren Miller  and crossed the ball for the unmarked Browning who grabbed his second and Ardrossan’s fourth of the game.

Substitute Jordan Shelvey squandered Clydebank’s best chance of the game soon after, dragging his shot into the side netting. Johnny Allan’s cameo appearance, his first since November, was the only real positive on a dismal day for the young Bankies side.

The defeat leaves Clydebank ten points adrift of Largs Thistle, with Kilwinning Rangers and Cumnock just a point behind ahead of next Saturday’s table topping tie.